Jewelry glue is a special type of adhesive that is used to bond various materials and components in jewelry making or repair.
Jewelry glue can be used to attach beads, gemstones, metal findings, clasps, cords, and other embellishments to create beautiful and durable jewelry pieces.
Jewelry glue can also be used to fix broken or loose parts of jewelry, such as replacing a missing stone or reattaching a chain.
Choosing the best glue for jewelry making or repair depends on several factors, such as the type of materials you are working with, the strength and flexibility of the bond you need, the drying time and clarity of the glue, and the ease of application and cleanup.
Different types of jewelry glue have different properties and advantages, so it is important to select the one that suits your project and preferences. In this article, I will review the top 3 best jewelry glue based on my own experiences.
Read More: Best Glue for Rhinestones
Top 3 Picks for the Best Jewelry Glue
1. Aleene’s 21709 Jewelry & Metal Instant Adhesive
2. G-S Hypo Cement
3. E6000 242001 Jewelry and Bead Adhesive
#1. Aleene’s 21709 Jewelry & Metal Instant Adhesive
Specs and Key Features
- Gel formula that won’t run when applied, which allows for more control and precision.
- Available in a 0.7 oz metal squeeze tube, which is easy to use and store.
- Waterproof, which means it can withstand moisture and humidity.
Aleene’s 21709 Jewelry & Metal Instant Adhesive Review
Aleene’s 21709 Jewelry & Metal Instant Adhesive is a special type of glue that is designed for bonding metals, stones, glass, and beads in jewelry making or repair.
It is a super industrial strength glue that creates strong, permanent, and impact-resistant bonds in seconds. It dries fast and clear and does not leave any residue or discoloration on the jewelry pieces.
It is also affordable and versatile and can be used on various surfaces and projects.
However, it may not work well on porous or flexible materials, such as fabric or leather. It may dry too quickly for some projects, which means you have to work fast and accurately.
It may also be difficult to remove or clean up, so you have to be careful not to spill or glue your fingers.
Overall, this glue is a good choice for jewelry making or repair, but it may not be suitable for every project or preference.
Aleene’s 21709 Jewelry & Metal Instant Adhesive Pros and Cons
- Ideal for metals and other hard materials
- Creates strong and permanent bonds
- Dries fast and clear
- Affordable and versatile
- May not work well on porous or flexible materials
- May dry too quickly for some projects
- May require a fine applicator for precise work
#2. G-S Hypo Cement
Specs and Key Features
- Forms a strong and flexible bond that can withstand wear and tear.
- Does not shrink or crack over time.
- Water-resistant and can be used on metal, glass, plastic, and ceramic materials.
- Easy to use and does not require clamping or curing.
G-S Hypo Cement Review
G-S Hypo Cement is a type of glue that is specially designed for jewelry making and repair.
It has a fine precision tip that allows you to apply a small amount of glue to delicate parts of your jewelry, such as beads, crystals, pearls, and rhinestones. It also dries clear and does not damage the surface of your jewelry.
According to some reviews from users who have tried G-S Hypo Cement, it is a great glue for jewelry making, especially for kumihimo braiding and fastening bales onto pendants.
However, some users also reported that it did not work well for gluing glass cabochons to metal findings or that it did not hold as well as other glues on some surfaces.
Therefore, it is advisable to test the glue on a small piece of jewelry before using it on your final project.
If you are looking for a glue that can help you create or repair your jewelry, G-S Hypo Cement might be a good option for you.
G-S Hypo Cement Pros and Cons
- Dries clear and stays clear
- Flows readily and stays flexible
- Will not damage the surface to which it is applied
- Will not bond fingers
- Has a fine needle-like tip for precise application
- Causes skin and eye irritation
- May cause respiratory irritation
- Very toxic to aquatic life with long-lasting effects
#3. E6000 242001 Jewelry and Bead Adhesive
Specs and Key Features
- Available in a 1 fl oz (29.5 ml) tube that has a metal cap.
- It is a clear liquid that has a viscosity of 100,000 cps
- No-drip, no-run formula that provides ultra control and prevents messes.
E6000 242001 Jewelry and Bead Adhesive Review
E6000 242001 Jewelry and Bead Adhesive is a type of glue that is specially formulated for jewelry making or repair.
It is a multipurpose glue that works on any surface, such as metal, wood, fabric, leather, glass, ceramic, etc. It is jewelry-friendly and comes with 4 applicator tips for different projects.
It dries fast and creates strong bonds that are flexible and waterproof. It is also non-flammable and safe to use.
Most customers are satisfied with the performance and quality of this glue. They say it is easy to use, reliable, and durable. They also like the variety of applicator tips that allow for precise and neat work.
Some customers have used this glue to create or repair various jewelry pieces, such as earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc.
However, some customers have also reported some issues with this glue. They say it may not work well on porous or flexible materials, such as fabric or leather.
Some customers have complained about the strong odor of this glue, which may cause headaches or nausea. They also say it may be hard to remove or clean up the excess glue or spills.
Overall, this glue seems to be a good choice for jewelry making or repair, especially if you work with multiple surfaces or materials.
It is a versatile and multipurpose glue that can help you create beautiful and durable jewelry pieces or fix broken or loose parts of your jewelry.
E6000 242001 Jewelry and Bead Adhesive Pros and Cons
- Works on any surface
- Comes with 4 applicator tips
- Dries fast and creates strong bonds
- Flexible and waterproof
- Non-flammable and safe
- May not dry clear on some surfaces
- May have a strong odor
- May be difficult to remove or clean up
How to Choose the Best Jewelry Glue?
Choosing the best glue for jewelry making or repair can be a challenging task, as there are many different types of glues available, each with its own properties and advantages.
However, by considering some important factors, such as the type of materials you are working with, the strength and flexibility of the bond you need, the drying time and clarity of the glue, and the ease of application and cleanup, you can narrow down your options and find the best jewelry glue for your project.
To choose the best glue for your jewelry making or repair project, you should consider the following factors:
Type of Materials
Different glues work better on different surfaces. For example, if you are working with metals or hard materials, you may want to use a glue that is specifically designed for them, such as Aleene’s 21709 Jewelry & Metal Instant Adhesive.
If you are working with multiple surfaces or materials, you may want to use a glue that is versatile and multipurpose, such as E6000 Jewelry And Bead Adhesive or G-S Hypo Cement.
Strength and Flexibility of The Bond
Different glues offer different levels of strength and flexibility for the bond they create. For example, if you need a strong and permanent bond that can withstand shocks and vibrations, you may want to use super industrial strength glue or epoxy glue.
If you need a flexible bond that can adapt to movement or changes in shape or size, you may want to use a gel or a resin glue.
Drying Time and Clarity of The Glue
Different glues have different drying times and clarity levels. For example, if you need a fast-drying glue that sets in seconds or minutes, you may want to use a super glue or an instant adhesive.
If you need a clear glue that does not leave any residue or discoloration on your jewelry pieces, you may want to use a resin or an epoxy glue.
Ease of Application and Cleanup
Different glues have different methods of application and cleanup. For example, if you need a precise application for fine details or small beads or embellishments, you may want to use a glue that comes with a fine applicator tip or a syringe.
If you need an easy cleanup for excess glue or spills, you may want to use a glue that can be removed with acetone or alcohol.
How to Use Jewelry Glue Properly?
Using jewelry glue properly is essential for achieving the best results and avoiding any problems or mistakes. Here are some tips on how to use jewelry glue properly:
- Always read the instructions and warnings on the package before using any jewelry glue. Follow the directions carefully and pay attention to the safety precautions.
- When handling jewelry glue, ensure that the area is well ventilated and that gloves and eyewear are worn. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, mouth, or nose. In case of contact, rinse with water immediately and seek medical attention if necessary.
- Always test the jewelry glue on a small and inconspicuous area before applying it to your main project. This will help you check the compatibility of the glue with your materials and the quality of the bond.
- Always clean and dry your materials before applying any jewelry glue. Remove any dust, dirt, oil, grease, or wax from your surfaces. This will help the glue adhere better and prevent any weak bonds or residues.
- Always apply a thin and even layer of jewelry glue to your materials. Do not use too much or too little glue, as this can affect the strength and appearance of your bond. Use the appropriate applicator tip for your project size and shape.
- Always press and hold your materials together firmly until the jewelry glue sets. Do not move or adjust your materials while the glue is drying. Follow the recommended drying time for your glue type and wait until the bond is fully cured before handling your project.
- Always store your jewelry glue in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Keep the cap tightly closed when not in use. Do not expose your jewelry glue to moisture or humidity, as this can affect its performance and shelf life.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is Jewelry Glue Permanent?
Yes, jewelry glue is designed to be a strong and permanent adhesive for holding jewelry and metal pieces together.
Is Jewelry Glue Better Than Super Glue?
Jewelry glue is specifically designed for use in jewelry making and repair, while super glue is a general-purpose adhesive that can also be used for these purposes.
Jewelry glue may offer better results for bonding metals and other surfaces in jewelry making, while super glue may be more suitable for quick repairs.
Jewelry glue is an essential tool for jewelry making or repair. It can help you create beautiful and durable jewelry pieces or fix broken or loose parts of your jewelry.
However, not all glues are the same, and you need to choose the one that suits your project and preferences.
Here, I reviewed the top 3 best jewelry glue based on my experiences and compared their features, pros, and cons. I also gave you some tips on how to choose and use jewelry glue effectively and safely.